24/7 Hotlines: Call or text 988 or text 741741


How to find treatment in your area with whatever insurance coverage you have—or don’t!

Trying to find a therapist or agency? Here are general service locators:

  • Nationally, you can call the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration at 1-800-662-HELP (4357) or visit http://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/ and choose their Service Locator for mental health or substance abuse treatment services.
  • In CT, call 2-1-1, InfoLine. The 211 operator will walk you through a series of questions to help figure out your best options for an appointment.
  • You can also do your own research at the CT Clearinghouse website listing the full range of services in CT—beyond just therapists, including prevention, outreach, job counseling, etc. You can easily search based on many key terms (detox, domestic violence, eating disorders, methadone, trauma, family therapy, etc.), as well as form of payment, environment (halfway house, partial hospitalization, outpatient, shelter) and more.
  • The Network of Care website also lets you search CT behavioral health resources, including treatment programs, housing/shelter, food, material assistance and other services available to people who are struggling with a behavioral health concern.
  • The CT Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS—pronounced “dee-muss”) has a lot of information and resources on its website about mental health and addiction. They also offer a Young Adult Services program with services around the state.

Want to search based on your insurance?

  • If you have private insurance, you can start with your insurance company’s website. You can search by type of therapist, distance from where you live, gender, and languages spoken. Find out what they specialize in, what their experience is, etc. You may also be able to see other people’s reviews or link to the provider’s website. That will help you pick a couple of different places to call.
  • If you have public insurance, such as HUSKY/Medicaid, search the Value Options website. Here you can select a location, your age group, what type of provider you’re looking for, etc.: (CT link)
  • If you have public insurance or no insurance, you can check out the DMHAS (Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services) list of programs and services or you can also contact one of the general resources above.