PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST (35 hrs/week)
The TurningPointCT Peer Support Specialist uses their lived experience with mental health and/or substance use in conjunction with their training in peer support to serve as an advocate, advisor, trainer and supporter for other young people in CT. The role includes: help the state expand and improve the availability of trained peer support for young people in behavioral health programs; provide direct peer support to young people on a limited basis; and contribute regularly to the TurningPointCT online platforms as a way of reaching young adults in the state.
- Provide training, coaching, and peer advocacy to DMHAS Young Adult Services (YAS) program staff
- Provide peer support and advocacy to YAS program clients
- Outreach to clients of the Department of Children and Families and Court Support Services Department
- Provide an annual peer support training (e.g., Recovery Coach Academy, Recovery University) for YAS clients and other young adults ready and interested in becoming peer support specialists
- Provide limited peer support to CT youth and young adults through weekly drop-in hours on TurningPointCT.org social platforms or in person and occasional peer support group sessions as needed
- Serve on identified state and young adult advisory boards (e.g., DMHAS Recovery Affairs, YLP and CT STAY STRONG) to provide input, share resources, coordinate and cross-pollinate across initiatives, and identify content areas for the TurningPointCT platform and social media
- Provide input into state, DMHAS and Positive Directions efforts to develop policies and systems to strengthen peer support, including involvement with legislative workgroups related to peer support
- Participate in weekly team meetings to share statewide young adult initiatives with the project staff
- Create weekly blog posts for TurningPointCT.org and develop other content (podcasts, videos) on a regular basis
- Identify as a peer to youth/young adults with lived experience with mental illness and/or substance misuse
- Trained as Recovery Support Specialist or Recovery Coach
- Strong personal interest in advocacy
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Apply: Submit cover letter and resume to Margaret Watt at firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please.
DOWNLOAD A PDF COPY OF THE PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST JOB DESCRIPTION HERE!