There’s no right or wrong way of giving back to the community! Feeling grateful has led me to look not only inward but also outward of how I can help.
What is gratitude?
Gratitude is the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.
Reflecting on the holiday season…
Over the holiday season, I have been thinking a lot about what it means to be privileged. Unlike some, I was lucky enough to grow up with a pantry that was always full and new school supplies each year. This year in particular, I felt an overwhelming sadness for those who do not have the same. I think it can be very easy to go about your day and not realize everything you have at your disposal that others may not. In the new year, I have decided I want to give back to my community.
What can I do to give back?
There is no right or wrong way of giving back! Here are some ideas to get you started…
- Put together kits and bring them to your local shelter
- Check on your elderly neighbors
- Pick up trash along the beach or at parks in your area
- Write thank you notes to First Responders in your area
- Donate children’s books to local schools or families in need
- Hold a food drive and donate items to a food shelter
- Write birthday cards and drop them off to a nursing home – some residents do not have anyone to celebrate their birthday with
- Sign up to cook a meal at a Ronald McDonald House
Whatever you do, big or small, giving back will never go unnoticed!