NEED HELP? 1-800-273-8255 TXT "CTL" to 741741

Let’s Talk

Home Let’s Talk Social Stuff 9/11/01 V.S. 9/11/17

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Luz.Feliz Luz.Feliz 2 years ago.

• Author
    Luz.Feliz
    Luz.Feliz
    Participant

With just a few days to go until the 16th anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks, I can’t help but notice how society has taken on the same mentality that we had almost 16 years ago. 

Although we live within the United States and are supposed to be “free”, “independent” etc., why does it seem that as more time passes, the more we seem to be resembling the traits that were felt when our nation was attacked? Many people fought for our independence, for everyone to be treated equally, fairly, and just, yet when we take a look a the kinds of things occurring in society, we can clearly see that “land of the free and home of the brave” is not being emphasized everywhere across the states. 

If the terrorist 9/11/01 attacks were so prominent, if they made such an impact on American history and served as such a huge turning point for our society, why are there those who are still being terrorists within our own nation to those who are fighting for civil rights and liberties? Hasn’t the impact of the 9/11/01 attacks served as enough proof to what kind of damage such hate can cause?

Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat after a long day of work because she understood that there was no reason why she should be treated differently than a white man or woman when she had been working just as hard. Why, then, must we pass judgment on others when we either A- know that they are equal to us because they are fighting just as hard, or B- don’t know their situation at all?! 

I must admit that I was young when the initial 9/11 attacks occurred, but the lack of change that I see within the nation is something that has left me shocked. Rather than coming together to fight for such a cause, society is coming up with the most ridiculous of reasons to call someone out or seclude them from another group. There’s a saying that goes- “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.” Who is America going to go with of it keeps singling people out?

Do you think society has made much progress in the last 16 years?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.