NEED HELP? 1-800-273-8255 TXT "CTL" to 741741
<i> “I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”</i>
-L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Hope all you Detourists are enjoying the transforming season of Autumn, where every day is another discovery and an ordinary miracle.
Sometimes we all have to take things day by day with hope things will change. Luckily, every falling leaf tells us that.
Through surgeries and other frustrations, nature and creativity have taught me those lessons.
So how did I survive over six years (besides IV nutrition, which was NOT the same as a huge bowl of ice cream!) without even a tiny ice cube to satiate myself?
<b>Nine Ways to Use Nature and Creativity Right Now</b>
1. Being resourceful – working with what you have
2. Create, create, create. Anything, just do it. Be productive, just by striving to make your mark on this world.
3. Making an impact or change on your environment, however large, small, internal or external that may be.
4. Refusing to compare your progress and rate of change with anyone or anything else, just going with your gut
Creating ruthlessly, wrecklessly, shamelessly, impulsively, primal – and in that you will find your glory and creativity
5. Working from a force that rises within you so involuntary, not unlike the sparking of a fire
6. Feeling inspiration from external/internal stimuli and not taking the time/thought to question why/when/how it came from
7. Deciding to lead and not follow. Being original without striving for it.
8. Always looking for the bigger picture, whether you can immediately spot it or whether it takes a lifetime to grasp
9. Creativity is the joy, the process, the destination. Not a particular product, goal, status symbol, or requirement.
So with that in mind, Detourists, I hope you use that unexpected winding road for discovery. You can always grab some inspiration from the Detourists who have shared their own stories on Why Not Wednesday, or tell me about a time in your own life where things didn’t go as you expected. Share your story here.
In the meantime, I’ll be in the studio creating.
Here’s what I’ve been doing in the studio lately…
And starting some new ideas…
You an always check out the latest on my blog or art gallery.
It’s never too late to start, and October is a beautiful time…
Creativity pushes boundaries – most effectively when it’s unintentional. Enjoy the fall, and try making your own coloring pages – here’s a little idea I came up with. It’s a great place to start!
Safe Travels Detourists. (What’s #LoveMyDetour?)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
TurningPointCT.org was developed by young people in Connecticut who are in recovery from mental health and substance use issues. We know what it’s like to feel alone, stressed, worried, sad, and angry. We’ve lived through the ups and downs of self-harm, drugs and alcohol, and the struggle to find help.
Learn More »